Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Peonies!

Peonies, a hearty and relatively rapid growing perennial  can't be beat for a stunning, single flower bouquet.
Out here in rural Virginia, the peonies are in heavy bud, just beginning to burst. Every year at this time, these glorious blooms remind me of how much I depend on flowers to create a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere in my home. I'm sure that this is because of the peony vendor I depended on 30 years ago when I was living in New York City and there was very little to pick from nature. He faithfully brought his bouquets to the corner of Broadway and 86th Street in Manhattan every spring, trading an armful of the giant pink blossoms (more than a dozen as I remember) for $5 in cash--no small amount to  set aside from the weekly budget, but worth every penny. Now happily esconced in the country, I can have these beauties in my own front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment